Banski Diver Girl

Banski Diver Girl

Wednesday, December 29, 2010


Little observation: Ask, and I am sure a great majority of your friends will tell you that they do not agree with factory farming; or they will tell you that corporate greed has had a hand in our current financial situation.
At least I know that as much as I love meat, the main reason I managed to remain (mostly) vegetarian since 1994 was because I could not stomach (literally) eating meat that came from a factory farm, that was tainted by misery, bad feed, no sunlight and fresh air and hormones and antibiotics. If I can not find meat from an animal that has led at least as natural a life as possible, I will not eat it.
But here is where my observation lies; though most people will agree that corporate greed is one of the most pervasive evils and that they would not do that if they had the power, I see an interesting reflection in a totally fantastical and virtual world. Games.
I remember when I started playing Farmville, and now Cityville, given that power, I have not changed in how I play since I was a little girl. I always see it as my only chance to make that ideal world I imagine a reality. I always have sacrificed points, levels, whatnot, for the opportunity to make things right in a way that I can not do so in the real world.
In my imaginary and game farm, my animals roam; if there are fences, the gates are open, there are no crowds, no hoarding of anything! And, yes, it has taken me over a year to reach high levels, but with the pleasure that I did it my way.
In my imaginary city, there is also space, and paths and freedom. I have sacrificed "winning" (because in these games, much like life, there is no definite finish line anyway) or leveling quickly or getting imaginary wealth for the pleasure of making my little make believe world.
So I am surprised by how many people I know, who in real life may not "be" that way, become hoarders, crowding and piling everything for the sake of leveling quickly, of making points and money. I KNOW, I know this is a game, but it only leaves me wondering, just how many, if they had the power, would do exactly the same thing that those in power have done for so long: hoarding animals, people, sacrificing space and freedom and beauty for money.
Remember, there really is no defined finish line, or winning, just like life, you play until you play no more. Enjoy.

No comments: